Saturday, March 17, 2007

Day 16 - San Francisco - Los Angeles

It's funny, it doesn't seem to us east coasters that these two cities should be so far from each other. You look at a map of the US and it almost seems that they blend into each other. True, there are numerous little towns and not so little towns (like Fresno, Bakersfield etc.) inbetween so that you are never completely in the middle of nowhere, but its a lot of ground to cover. From my hotel to Kevin's house was about 410 miles, which to put that in perspective is about from Chapel Hill to NYC. I, however, being the guy that I am was not about to just drive the easy way. I actually took the Pacific Coast Highway. If you know anything about CA, then you'll know that this is actually one of the most celebrated scenic drives in the US. The road actually hugs the coast, i mean is within sight of the water, for almost all of the western seaboard.


The beginning drive was really beautiful, not too windy though. So I made pretty quick work of that, I was in Monterey by about 12:30. Monterey is a really pretty little town on the water that has two things going for it, tourist wise. 1) the aquarium, 2) the Steinbeck novel. Most everything in town is referencing one or the other. I stopped mainly because it was a good spot for lunch and it was on the way anyhow. I had some fish and chips at this little mom and pop shack right on the ocean, not a bad way to spend $7.



After that, it was back on the road, going through places like Carmel, Big Sur and Pebble beach. Eventually it started to get a little dark, so the last 100 miles was spent on the interstate, oh well. When I finally reached Kevin's i got freshened up and we headed out to this nightclub near him called RAGE. I've never seen a more packed place in my life and bass like crazy. It was a fun night which ended up at Cantor's, a famous Jewish restaurant/deli in Hollywood. We were both pretty beat but it was a blast from beginning to end.


Anyhow, I'm about to head out for the day. I plan on seeing all of LA that I can see, Hollywood, Santa Monica yada yada. We'll see what happens, plans always have a way of changing.

No comments: