Thursday, March 15, 2007

Day 14 - Modesto, CA - Ocean Beach, CA - San Francisco, CA

So there's really nothing in Modesto, just so you guys know. I only stopped there last night because I didn't want to hit the coast at night. This trip has been a dream of mine for a very long time, and I knew that when I finally saw the Pacific it would be a pretty heady moment. So I didn't want it to be dark, obviously. In the morning, after finishing some laundry and getting everything together, I headed out for San Fran...or at least the closes Pacific Beach to it. This GPS really makes everything easier, because when I got near SF I just told it to find a beach, it showed me a few on the map and I chose the closest one that was actually on the ocean (not on the bay).

Twenty minutes later, I finally saw it, the Pacific. I'd done it, I think I was more surprised than anybody. As silly as it sounds driving this far and seeing the maps the whole way, it still didn't seem real to me until I felt the waves on my own feet. I must have looked like a crazy person to all of the sunbathers out there, just standing and staring at the waves for about twenty minutes then calling my mom and dad to tell them. I've been trying over the last few days to take more pictures with me in them and so I HAD to get a picture of myself here. The lady who took it, thought it was a little bizarre I think. I mean honestly, as far as beaches go objectively Ocean Beach isn't exactly the most beautiful. So getting my picture at it, was a little weird. But I didn't care, seeing that water gave me the biggest sense of satisfaction I've just about ever felt. Not pictured here, is my little victory dance.
After I composed myself I headed to my motel in San Francisco. Anybody who ever takes a roadtrip, heed these words "Get the roomsaver coupons and check out roomsaver.com." Here's why, so you've probably already seen these things, they're little green magazines that a lot of cheap restaurants like denny's and waffle house have in their entrances. What they do is show give you these coupons for hundreds of hotels in any given state or area but the coupons only work if you show up that day. In other words, you can't make reservations they're just for walk-ins. For a roadtrip, theyre perfect, because I'm not real sure where I'll be night after night and so I'm not going to make reservations anyhow. To give you an idea however, right now I'm staying at a Travelodge thats about three blocks from Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown for $44 a night. The same hotel online is about 89 a night, most every night I've been on the road has been with these coupons honestly. So word to the wise, it makes a huge difference.
Anyhow, I checked in, really nice little place and headed out to see Fisherman's Wharf. Let me just say, San Francisco is tremendously pretty. Everything's so green, and all the houses are Victorian. The streets are hilly and there are tons of little cafe's and boutiques everywhere. It's a little chillier than the valley I was in, but still I'll take 70 degrees any day over 6 in Minneapolis. One of the shopping areas is called 'Ghiradelli Square' because a while back it was the location of the actual factory. Andrea, this is your place. Among the other shops, and right next to each other was the 'Napa Valley Wine Bar' with free tastings, and the Ghiradelli Chocolate Bar (pun, hurr) where they had chocolate tastings and the BEST FUDGE SUNDAE IN MY LIFE. By the time I regained control over my body from chocolate overload, it was close to sunset. I headed up the 600 steps to the Coit Tower, this late 1800's landmark on the top of a hill and watched the sunset over the Golden Gate Bridge. Definitely worth three bucks and the exhaustion. Luckily, I had enough sugar in my body to pull a Mack truck.

I walked over to Chinatown and had a quick dinner before getting back to the hotel at about 10:30. After all that, I honestly was just beat. Hence writing this the morning after. I know that I should have found some nightlife or something, but honestly I didn't even mean to fall asleep but this Travelodge bed is about the cushiest I've ever been in. Anyway, today I'm off to SF MoMA and wherever else the city takes me.

No comments: