Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Day 13 - Reno - Yosemite - Modesto, CA

It's hard to believe that I'm almost to the Pacific Ocean. Here in Modesto, which is about 60 miles SE of San Francisco, I can almost smell the salt. Honestly, when I left D.C. I wasn't entirely sure I'd make it. Part of me I guess almost couldn't imagine actually seeing the other side of the country. Turns out I could have kept going on forever just about. I didn't expect this country to be so awesome through the middle. Everyone who'd ever driven across the continent had always told me that everything between West Virginia and Nevada was tremendously dull. Well, I guess if I'd just driven straight there, maybe so. As it stands, I've been more impressed than I ever thought possible.
The day started out in Reno, of course. After waiting seemingly forever for the valet guy, I was off to Lake Tahoe, which was on the way to Yosemite. Reno, mind you was about 72 degrees and pretty much desert. In the fifty miles to Lake Tahoe however, it changed to pine forests, huge mountains and 50 degrees. All of the sudden, my shorts and flip flops didn't seem to be such a stellar idea. Luckily I was only there long enough to pick up a HRC pin and take a couple of photos. The lake itself is really beautiful, but jeez it seems that you'd need to take out a second mortgage to vacation here. The gas was 3.60, luckily i had a pretty full tank. Hotel rooms apparently started at about $150 for the fleabag motels, I guess its all of the skiiers?

Anyway, I headed onward and finally hit California. A huge sense of accomplishment rushed through me, California...seems like the other end of the world from DC yet I was there for the whole way obviously. As I headed to Yosemite, the climate changed drastically. It wasn't desert anymore, and it certainly wasn't winter either. Placerville, which was the first town I reached in CA, was green as Virginia in May and 79 degrees. I got out of the car just to make sure it was real. Seriously, a week ago it was 6 degrees with two feet of ice on the ground in Minneapolis. Apparently the area I was going through is known as the central valley, its where the 'happy cows' from the commercials are. The drive itself was gorgeous, and I got to put my windows down for the first time since October.

About 3pm, I reached the Western gate to Yosemite. Like Yellowstone, Yosemite is huge. So from that West gate to the center of the park was about 40 miles. The epicenter of the park is Yosemite Valley, and it is incomparable. The valley is bordered by these gargantuan granite monoliths. Lucky me, I came at a pretty unique time because the snow at the tops of the mountains (again, spring in the valley) was melting. Why is this important? I'll tell you why, because this means that hundreds of waterfalls that wouldn't usually exist or might just be a trickle were now raging. The largest single one is, easily enough, Yosemite falls. Just for reference, the waterfall (as depicted here) is 2440 feet from top to bottom, the fifth tallest in the world. I walked right up to it and felt the huge spray from the bottom. Some waterfalls actually never even reach the bottom; that is, they are so high up and small that you'll see the water fall and just turn to mist about halfway down. One of the other walls is called El Capitan and is the tallest single granite monolith in the world, 3000+ feet from the valley floor to the top.

As sunset approached, I headed for what was supposedly the best view of the whole valley, called 'tunnel view.' Simply enough, it was a turnoff right before a mile long tunnel leaving the park. So I headed up there, and truly enough the view was spectacular, like a postcard. Sunset was still probably 20 minutes off, so I figured that I'd just sit there and watch it happen. As I did, I actually struck up a conversation with three people about my age also sitting and watching. Jen, who was 22, was from LA and was there for the week along with her college friend Michelle from Boston. They were being taken around by Ben, otherwise known as Stringbean, who lived in the area and had met them a few days before. As we talked and watched, he told us that there was actually a hidden vista pretty close if we were up for the adventure. Why not? So he walked the three of us into the car tunnel, about halfway through, and pointed to a black cave. Apparently, this was a storm drain that was just big enough to walk though, it was carved right out of the granite and went for about 500 feet. We sloshed through it, laughing the whole way as we slipped quite a few times. We came out the other side and found an even better view than before with no one else around. That was a life moment, you know those times when, as they are happening, you say to yourself "I'll never forget this as long as I live, its a part of me now." Sounds corny, I know. We sat there and watched day turn to night with our feet dangling over a thousand foot cliff. Eventually, it was dark and we had to trudge our way back through the tunnel using cellphones and cameras for light. We said our goodbyes and exchanged info and that was that. I'm actually meeting a lot of cool people on this trip and even if I never see them again, its really neat to know that for an hour or so you made an impact on someone...kinda like fate. Anyway, i'll stop waxing philosophical and head on.

I probably could have made it to San Francisco last night but honestly, I want my triumphant arrival at the Pacific to be in daylight. So here I am in Modesto, and Wednesday I'll reach the goal.

No comments: